Press & Media
- Letter to the media from Drs. Hirsch & Pirker
- Bios of WCLC Leadership
- Lung Cancer Fact Sheet
- IASLC and WCLC Historical Background
- High Resolution IASLC Logo
- IASLC Announces Awards Recipients
- Ugo Pastorino, MD, Honored with Joseph W. Cullen/Early Detection Award
- Keith Kerr, BSc, MB, ChB, FRCPath, FRCPE, Honored with Mary J. Matthews Award
- Keunchil Park, MD, PhD, Honored with IASLC Merit Award
- Sumitra Thongprasert, MD, Honored with IASLC Merit Award
- Roy S. Herbst, MD, PhD, Honored with Paul. A. Bunn, Jr. Scientific Award
- Patient Advocacy Awards Announced
- Shared Decision Making Between Patients and Physicians Desirable
- The Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation Centers of Excellence Model
- Sunday Press Briefing Summary
- Ireland Smoking Ban Reduces Mortality
- Australian Doctor Turns Tables on Tobacco Companies
- Free Trade and Investment Agreements Threaten Public Health
- IASLC 17th WCLC Welcomes Uruguayan President
- Monday Press Briefing Summary
- Osimertinib Reduces Risk of Disease Progression
- New Lung Cancer Tumor Staging Manual to Shape Lung Cancer Clinical Treatment
- Patients Receiving First-line Ceritinib Experienced a 45 Percent Risk Reduction of Disease Progression Compared to Chemotherapy
- Icotinib Creates Better Progression-Free Survival with Fewer Side Effects than Whole Brain Radiation
- Tuesday Press Briefing Summary
- Pembrolizumab Provides Better Quality of Life Than Chemotherapy
- OAK Trial Supports Use of Atezolizumab for Patients with NSCLC
- Nivolumab Shows Promise in Treating Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma
- Harmonization Study for PD-L1 Immunohistochemistry Testing in NSCLC
- Durvalumab is Clinically Active and Well-Tolerated in Heavily-Pretreated Metastatic Patients with NSCLC
- IASLC 17th WCLC Press Briefing Reveals Advancements in Lung Cancer Treatment Through Immunotherapy and Better Diagnostics
- Regular Use of Ibuprofen May Lower Lung Cancer Risk Among High-Risk Subgroups of Cigarette Smokers
WCLC Daily Newspapers:
- Sunday, December 4, 2016: Welcome to WCLC 2016
- Monday, December 5, 2016
- Tuesday, December 6, 2016
- Wednesday, December 7, 2016
WCLC 2016 Images and Pictures (Photocredit by Jon Benjamin Photography):
To view the WCLC 2016 Image Gallery please follow these instructions:
- Click on the View Images button below
- Please go to ‘Clients’
- Select ‘WCLC 2016’
- Use password: Vienna2016
Members of the media are expected to read and follow all media policies regarding the IASLC World Conference on Lung Cancer.
Press Conference Program:
Media Registration Requirements:
All media representatives are required to pre-register for the meeting and must be credentialed by IASLC before being officially registered.
Journalists, including photographers, must work exclusively for the outlet for which they are credentialed (exceptions for freelance journalists are detailed below). Journalists who use their media privileges to work for non-credentialed organizations will have their privileges revoked. Journalists are required to complete the media online pre-registration form and submit the following:
- A letter of assignment on the letterhead of the news organization being represented.
- A photocopy of official press credentials, such a press card issued by a recognized journalists’ association or a government-sanctioned press organization (IASLC does not recognize press cards issued by web-based organizations such as IFNM) and/or a business card issued by a recognized news organization.
Freelance journalists including photographers may work for multiple publications, as long as they confirm in advance that those publications are eligible for media registration. Freelance journalists must submit the following:
- A letter of assignment on the letterhead of the news organization being represented.
- A recent copy of the publication (a mailed copy, link to the publication’s website or a photocopy of a cover/issue published within the past 6 months).
- Companies or organizations producing publications, videos, and other products intended for marketing, advertising, financial analysis, or public relations purposes may not register to attend the meeting as media. This includes any organization that intends to sell or distribute video recorded at the WCLC for monetary gain. Any organization that misrepresents itself in regards to this manner will face sanctions and possible other actions.
- Financial analysts; sales, advertising, or marketing representatives; public relations personnel; book publishers and book authors; and individuals from communications, print, and online promotion services may not register as media, but are welcome to register as regular attendees.
- Media are welcome to attend all general admission Scientific and Educational Sessions. Ticketed sessions, such as “Meet the Expert” sessions, are not open to media.
All interviews outside of press conferences must be arranged in advance with interviewees and must take place in IASLC approved and designated rooms. No last-minute or hallway interviews are permitted anywhere inside the conference facility. IASLC staff are available to help schedule interviews and IASLC provides designated interview rooms. A limited number of interview rooms are available complimentary to credentialed media and may be schedule with IASLC staff for up to two hours. All other interested parties may request an interview room for a fee.
Abstract Embargo Policy:
Abstracts will be made available online on Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 5 p.m. Eastern Time and in alignment with the release of the Virtual Meeting. Those abstracts scheduled for a press release and presentations in the IASLC 17th WCLC press conferences will be kept under embargo and will not be available until either presented at the WCLC 2016 or released during a press conference, whichever comes first. Once presented or released, the full abstract will be available online. Registrants will receive in their onsite registration material at the conference a USB drive containing the same material that was released on November 16, 2016.
All abstracts, including those presented in the Press Conferences and highlighted in Press Releases, will be published in the Journal of Thoracic Oncology as a supplement in January 2017.
Presentation Slides and Poster Release:
All presentation slides including audio or video recordings as well as the electronic poster files will be released in the virtual meeting within 24 hours after the presentation but only after the talk or the poster has been presented at the Conference.
Social Media Policy:
- Organizations may use social media to disseminate news and information regarding abstracts being presented at the WCLC. All information distributed through social media channels must adhere to the IASLC’s embargo policy.
- Organizations promoting their research through Twitter are welcome to include the IASLC’s World Conference hashtag, #WCLC2016.
- Members of the media are not permitted to photograph or record and transmit/share on any social media platform any presentation’s slides without approval from the presenter and/or the IASLC. Representatives from academic institutions are permitted to share slides, but not for the media to re-transmit. Only non-flash photography is allowed of slide presentations.
We respectfully request that any organization that publishes a news release about any data or event involving the WCLC includes a specific reference to the 17th World Conference on Lung Cancer hosted by the International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (learn more at www.iaslc.org).
Video, Photography and Audio Recording Policy:
Photography, videotaping and audio recording are allowed for news coverage only in the following areas/events:
- Press Conferences
- Interview rooms
- Other designated locations
- Recording in common areas requires permission and/or an IASLC staff escort
Members of the media are welcome to use slides presented during the WCLC 2016 press program in their news coverage of the meeting. However, authors retain the copyright to their full slide presentations and all copyright laws apply to the reproduction, distribution and/or publication of slides.
Photography, videotaping or any other recording of presentation slides not included in the press program is prohibited unless a news organization is given specific permission by the IASLC staff and the author. This material is covered by copyright and not for wide public consumption without explicit approval.
Live coverage requires the approval of the IASLC. An authorized representative of any press vehicle requiring electrical service or external cabling must be available to coordinate logistical details with IASLC. Live coverage is restricted to designated areas or an area approved by IASLC staff and is on a first-come, first-served basis.
For questions, please contact:
Becky Bunn, MSc
IASLC Project Specialist
Becky.Bunn at iaslc.org
Failure to comply with these policies may result in the immediate revocation of any privileges at the current WCLC and for future IASLC events.
The IASLC reserves the right to change these policies as needed without notice.